29 September 2006

Improvisational Quilt #1


This quilt was begun this past summer when my husband and I visited a thrift shop in a small town in Ohio. I've always really admired scrap quilts and other kinds of quilts that were made with what was on hand rather than with a set of new fabrics purchased for the purpose of making a quilt. There's something about the ingenuity that goes into using a group of fabrics that 1) had been previously owned and used, 2) came in different weights or materials, 3) came from different people with varying styles and tastes, 4) had been cut and sewn into garments and 5) were all there was. I bought a pile of second-hand clothes with the intention of using them to make small quilted pieces. I wanted to experiment with the limits and inspirations that might come from having a restricted supply of previously cut, sewn and worn fabric. I also planned to work intuitively, cutting mostly without measuring and making decisions about what to add as the quilt developed rather than pre-planning the design. I'm pleased with the energy and playfulness of this piece. It's mostly cotton, 19 x 24 inches. It's interesting to watch the composition of the fabric pile change as I choose to use or avoid various pieces.

No comments: