17 October 2006

Autumn in New England




This week, my husband and I took a little road trip to enjoy some fall color, visit with family and check out a couple of art museums. In White River Junction, Vermont the sumac trees were brilliant reds and yellows. In Brattleboro, Vermont, we had lunch at the Riverview Cafe with a view right down the middle of the river. Next to the door of the cafe these purple asters were blooming, buzzing with a multitude of with bees and six (!) monarch butterflies. What a sight. We went across the street to see the exhibits at the Brattleboro Art Museum in the old train station. They had some really dynamic landscape paintings by Wolf Kahn, who, rumor has it, has also painted the barn at my husband's family homestead. The museum also has an incredible maple tree out front, with enormous brilliant red leaves.
http://www.brattleboromuseum.org/exhibits/currentexhibits.html
The reason this trip got planned in the first place was that I wanted to see the exhibit of aboriginal women's paintings at the Hood museum in Hanover, New Hampshire. The paintings in Dreaming Their Way are gorgeous and powerful. I wish they were closer to my home. I'd like to go look again and again.
http://hoodmuseum.dartmouth.edu/exhibitions/dreaming/

1 comment:

Oberon said...

.......fab...u...ous......and i love the quilt.